The mission of the foundation began in 1895 when Bishop William Crane Gray encouraged the diocese to adopt the Church Home and Hospital, where the elderly found love, comfort and support.
In 1920, Bishop Cameron Mann reluctantly sold the hospital, and the proceeds were put in trust until 1951, when Bishop Henry Irving Louttit purchased the Holly Hill Hotel in Davenport Florida which became The Bishop Gray Inn.
In 1988, a second Bishop Gray Inn was opened in Lake Worth.
Then in 2004, the properties were sold. From then on, the mission shifted and the Bishop Gray Retirement Foundation could provide financial assistance to senior Episcopalians with much greater flexibility.
For hundreds of Episcopalians in Central, Southeast and Southwest Florida, the Bishop Gray Retirement Foundation offers hope and dignity in time of need
the board of trustees
Diocese of central florida
The Rt. Rev. Gregory O. Brewer, Vice-President
Mr. Alexander C. Mackinnon, Secretary
Mr. Guy D. Colado, Treasurer
The Very Rev. Hugh McGlashon
The Rev. Deacon Kimberly Spear
diocese of Southwest florida
The Rt. Rev. Dabney T. Smith, President
Dr. C. Thomas Gooding
Ms. Barbara Kelly, Assistant Treasurer
The Rev. Deacon Bill Moyers
The Rev. Deacon Denise C. Healy
diocese of Southeast florida
The Rt. Rev. Peter Eaton
Dr. Helen Bhagwandin
Dr. Harlington Hanna
Ms. Barbara MacKenzie
Ms. Malvern V. Mathis